Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux chess photos
From: "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:34:33 -0500

Rei posted these great images:

> http://www.shinozuka-family.com/chess

> if nothing else, the expression of the spectators is fairly amusing.
> i enjoyed the fact that no one seemed to notice me or the camera.

Terriffic series, Rei.  I really like it that you post picture
stories, with reaction shots, instead of just isolated examples.

The crowd surrounding the players remind me of my vacation in England
in 1972.  My wife and I, in our twenties, stopped for the night at a
pretty hotel on the Southcoast for the night.

At dinner, it became evident that the next youngest couple in the
hotel were celebrating their 50th anniversary, and we struck up a chat
with them.  This was about two weeks after the American Bobby Fischer
beat the Russian for the World Championship, so naturally the
conversation turned to chess.

Well, the short of the story is the guy challenged me to a game of
chess after dinner, and I accepted, even though I'm  a player of only
moderate skill.   We set up the board, and suddenly were surrounded by
dozens of denizens of this retirement retreat.

I was in a position of upholding Bobby Fischer's reputation, and it
seemed most of the population of England over 90 years of age was
looking on.   This did not make my mediocre chessmanship sharper.
Alas, after the fourth move on my part, the crowd found me out, and
drifted away.

After only about ten moves, he won, and we retreated to a pub in the
nearby town (where we should have gone in the first place!)

Maybe that shame is why Bobby Fischer was seldom heard from again!

Regards,

SonC
http;//www.SonC.com