Subject: [Leica] 35 summicron with separating middle lens group....
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:28:21 -0400

Hi,

I recently bought a summicron 35M over  ebay.  Based upon the serial number
it would appear to be the last version prior to the aspheric model.  It was
advertised as having a "strange luminessence"  so I assumed that one of the
elements had separated and bid accordingly.  Upon receiving the lens I found
my assumption correct.  I used the lens for a number of photos and there is
no overtly obvious problems with the image, but I do want to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Leica on matters like this?
This is clearly a factory problem.  I tore the lens down and found the
offending element group.  The group appears to be pressed into it's
secondary mount, thus complicating the repair immensely.  I was hoping to
simply separate the elements and re-glue them with UV curing optical cement.
(I do have all the equipment to mount, cement  and center most optics as
well as a collimator, so this is not quite as mad as it seems....I also
purchased the with the spirit that it may be just useful for parts....) .

I will contact leica on this of course, but has anyone had any experience
purchasing an internal element for a relatively new lens?

Thanks

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.