Subject: RE: [Leica] John Bardeen, was Re: OT Richard Feynman
From: "George Day" <george@rdcinteractive.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:10:19 -0700

I had the privilege of meeting Linus Pauling once and eventually spending
some good time with him.  The meeting was funny. I was a graduate student
(in history of science) working at a registration booth for a conference my
department was hosting. Around mid-morning, an elderly gentleman comes up to
me, asks for a badge and whips out a checkbook to pay for the registration.
I inform him, as I was told to, that pre-registration was a requirement and
that he would have to return after a certain time.  He smiled, said, "oh,
thank you"...and then I noticed that he had already filled out the badge:
Linus Pauling.  The strange familiarity turned into sudden recognition and,
well, let's just say that Dr. Pauling received, thenceforth, the most
curteous and express treatment conceiveable and that I blushed many shades
of purple.