Subject: Re: [Leica] John Bardeen, was Re: OT Richard Feynman
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:00:31 -0700

Two observations from yet another physics student who met Bardeen at
University of Illinois:

Bardeen seemed to be a very bright, very intelligent, very introspective
guy. We occupied (pretty much) the same physical space, but didn't interact.

If impact on students can be counted, Feynman (who I never met) had a far
greater influence on us.

Feynman taught us that thinking about problems was fun and that tools meant
for other purposes could be used to solve them. He motivated us by sharing
his simple enthusiasms with us and explaining what he knew in ways that we
could understand.

One man was a great scientist and the other a great teacher. I'm using
things every day created by the scientist, but I enjoy them because the
teacher showed me a better way to live my life.

Mike Quinn
(Still trying to live up to his teachers' expectations)