Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photoshop 5 LE files darker than they look
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 06:56:28 +0200

Mike writes:

> I don't know any geeks who don't use their computers.

All the ones I know are that way.  Running word or a game or something doesn't
count.  Using a computer means keeping your company's accounting on it, or
keeping your daily accounting on it, or doing anything that actually requires
that the computer be regularly up and running.  Geeks cannot afford to do any of
that, as their computers are too often unusable due to hardware and software
upgrades.  Besides, they often don't really know how to do anything besides play
with computers, anyway--they are poor writers, they don't balance their
checkbooks, they couldn't successfully adjust a photo in Photoshop to save their
souls, and so on.

I used to run my computers at work that way, but I was paid for it.  I upgraded
regularly, and if it took my computer down for five days, so what?  It was the
company's software, so they couldn't complain; indeed, I was just doing what I
was supposed to do.  But I cannot afford to goof around like that with my home
computer, which I actually use for productive work, not just an e-mail program
and Flight Simulator.

> It's the others (who use the term "Geek" to denegrate
> people who are smarter than they are) that buy
> them and don't use them...

Sometimes.  Sometimes not.