Subject: [Leica] 35mm Summicron question for the list
From: "Rothman, Aric" <Aric.Rothman@Honeywell.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:36:58 -0700

I am currently evaluating for purchase a 35mm Summicron, 4th. gen.  On the
front of the lens, there is a machined ring which bears the filter threads
and the tick mark for the aperture setting.  This ring, which I believe
should be stationary, will rotate about 1.5 mm if twisted.  I discovered
this while mounting a filter on to the lens.

Also, the aperture opening, for a lack of a better term, "wobbles" in the
range f/5.6 to f/16.  What I mean by this is that the opening changes shape
while traveling between f-stops, never deviating much from circle-like
shape, but noticeably asymmetrical about the axis.

On the upside, there appears to be no oil on the blades.  The glass appears
to be perfect, with the acceptation of a few specks of dust on the internal
elements.

Sound like a lemon?  What would a CLA cost?

Aric

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] 35mm Summicron question for the list)