Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 .58 Questions
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:07:05 -0400 (EDT)

before taking the blame for bad focusing, particularly if your
images are consistently focused in front of or behind the subject,
try your own simple focus test.  open your lens all the way up,
put camera on tripod, extend carpenter's tape measure from tripod
center column out and take 3 exposures each at the 6-foot and 11-foot
marks, refocusing from infinity each time.
under a loupe (or a scanner), see which inch marking or foot marking
is the clearest.  if the focusing is consistently off, it's probably
the camera, if it's all over the place, its probably you!

i've found a few of my cameras (especially the used ones) could
be off focus by an inch or two at 6 feet.  with a 90 cron or noctilux
that's too far off.

- -rei