Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V20 #274
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:41:25 -0400 (EDT)

from Garry Lewis <glewis@ftw.nrcs.usda.gov>

> P.S. f-stop is in the dictionary, but Leica is not.

Leica is in the OED! :-)

my favorite is: "Armed with good taste, a Leica and a guide."

- -rei

- -----------------
Leica

[f. Leitz (see below) + CA(MERA.]

The proprietary name of cameras made by the German firm of Ernst Leitz
   Wetzlar Gesellschaft.

1925 Brit. Jrnl. Photogr. 26 June 387/2 New apparatus... Leica cine film
    camera... Quite an innovation in pocket cameras is one just issued by the
    well-known firm of Leitz, designed to take about 5 feet of ordinary
    standard perforated cinematograph film.
1930 Trade Marks Jrnl. 23 July 1135/1 Leica... Photographic cameras. Ernst &
    Leitz Gesellschaft mit beschrnkter Haftung, (a Company organised under
    the laws of Germany),..London,..and Wetzlar, Germany; Manufacturers.
1933 W. ALEXANDER Mod. Photogr. with Mod. Miniature Cameras ii. 29 Leica and
    Contax have now become words..familiar in the mouths of men throughout..
    the earth.
1934 H. NICOLSON Let. 9 Oct. (1966) 184 Lindbergh..helped me to unload my
    Leica camera.
1936 P. FLEMING News from Tartary v. 36 The Leicas turned out very
    satisfactorily.
1948 `N. SHUTE' No Highway v. 136 The print was an enlargement from a Leica
    frame.
1953 C. DAY LEWIS Italian Visit v. 53 Armed with good taste, a Leica and a
    guide.
1958 G. GREENE Our Man in Havana I. iii. 25 The victim's Leica had been
    smashed as well.
1959 P. H. JOHNSON Unspeakable Skipton vii. 57 An American..was photographing
     the swans with his Leica.
1973 R. THOMAS If you can't be Good (1974) iii. 28 Using..an old Leica with
     some fast film, Sarah turned out striking, informal portraits.