Subject: Re: [Leica] Focomat V-35 Question
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:55:08 -0700

Matt wrote:
>>.   However, I am wondering if Focomat V-35 came with a
> red filter you could slide across to block the light coming via the lens
> so as to adjust the position of the paper before printing. <<<<<

Hi Matt,
I haven't used a red filter on any enlarger for years, as a matter of fact I
took the red filter thingie off my present leica enlarger sometime around
'72. ;-) No I can't find it I think it eventually got thrown away.

Here is the plan:

Put neg. in enlarger
darkroom white lights out,
 lots of darkroom yellow lights on
turn on enlarger
adjust paper easel and enlarger head for correct enlargement and focus
turn enlarger light out
place paper in easel  hit timer button for enlarger light, make exposure
take print to tray and develop.

The problem with many darkrooms is the owners really believe they have to be
"dark!" Like you can't see anything once the white light has been turned off
and they don't have to be like that. It's like being in a very very
yellow/brown darkened dungeon and doesn't help your eyesight at all!

They can be as bright as you like by raising the light level to a point as
long as it  doesn't fog the paper. In my darkroom visiting photographers
usually remark, "WOW! is it ever bright in here!" Well it should be as
bright as the paper can handle before fogging.

And that's easily ascertained by putting a piece of paper by the enlarger
table with some coins on it, expose for a few minutes with just the darkroom
lights on, then develop as though it's a print. You shouldn't have coin
marks showing. If you do get coin shadows after three minutes development
move the lights higher or farther away or cut back the bulb wattage inside
the yellow light.

But a darkroom should be bright enough to see what you are doing in any part
of the room and if it isn't it should be.  I always end up with a headache
after any length of time constantly straining to see in the dark.

Save your money, don't buy one of those red filters you don't really need
it. Buy a roll of film instead.:-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant