Subject: Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:36:15 +0200

Kyle writes:

> okay, maybe not, but this continual classism
> drives me nuts. i really wish people would stop
> buying leicas because they think it makes them better
> than the jones'. it's unbecoming.

Acknowledging the fact that very few people recognize Leicas is not an assertion
of class distinctions.  The type of people who work cleaning toilets and/or
steal the property of others tend to be poor and dim-witted, and they are among
the least likely of any group of people to recognize Leicas, since Leicas are
not merely expensive, but also quite rare.

My impression is that there are even many professional and amateur photographers
who do not recognize Leicas.  They may have seen them occasionally, but without
close examination a Leica (at least the M) looks like any cheap compact camera,
and in fact looks a lot like WWII surplus to the average person (I consider this
a huge advantage of Leica equipment, BTW).

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?)
Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?)