Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Pinhole shot
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:56:21 -0400

At 01:08 PM 9/3/01 -0400, George Kenney wrote:
>It has long seemed to me that those most zealous about kissing the
>asses of others they perceive to be socially superior are also the
>most demanding that perceived social inferiors kiss theirs. This is
>commonly described among clergy, for example, as "the bigger the
>front, the bigger the back." In this pinhole case, your comment had
>nothing to do with criticism, constructive or otherwise, but a lot to do
>with how great you are in your own mind.

Wow.  George, Ted Grant is one of the original LUG "Gang of Five" and is
the most-level tempered of the bunch (well, Tina is level-tempered, too,
but she's always off in the toolies somewhere or other, and we often need
and miss her calming influences!).

Your response is, well, more than a bit surly.

Ted stated a distaste for pinhole photography.  I share this distaste,
though I admire its practitioners as I admire folks who still do mercury
process stuff and the like.  Takes guts to be REALLY old-fashioned and to
adopt an optical tool even Hans Lipperschey found too crude for his purposes.

Further, think of the tool being used for the particular art-form.  ANY
camera can be adapted to pinhole photography -- hell, there are folks out
there using coffee-cans for the all of it, and more power to them.  And I
have adapters on hand which would allow me to fit some really embarrassing
ISCO-Göttingen M42 lens to my M6, but why degrade a fine body with a
horrible lens?

All in all, I appreciated Ted's comment a lot more than the rudeness of
your reply -- again, I HAD thought I was the List Curmudgeon, but I see now
that I am being challenged for bilious thin-skinned (and, frankly,
thin-witted) snap answers.

Just where IS Eric Welch, now that we need him?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Pinhole shot)