Subject: Re: [Leica] Caution this message contains words that start with L and R
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:56:03 -0700

At 9:16 PM -0600 9/3/01, John Collier wrote:
>Several weeks ago, one of our august members, while waxing eloquent on his
>new M-Motor, casually mentioned that he no longer uses his early (brass
>bodied) Rapidwinder. I, ever the one to take advantage of widows and other
>unfortunate helpless creatures, persuaded him to part with it in exchange
>for a small pile of silver shekels. I have been curious about the
>Rapidwinder for many a year but always hesitated to take the plunge as I had
>no chance to test drive one. Fortunately used Leica gear is almost like
>borrowing as it is so easy to get your money back out of something that is
>not quite up to snuff.
>
>Oh dear...what the heck was I actually going to talk about? Ah yes, the
>Rapidwinder! It is marvellous and I love it! I am a trigger winding convert.
>It is just so much more a comfortable motion. Usually camera bits and pieces
>require one to get used to them but the RW was great right from the first
>exposure. I would heartily recommend anyone to give the Rapidwinder a try
>(no commercial connection...sigh). I am now going to try and find a later
>model (aluminium alloy bodied). Unfortunately they are hard to come by what
>with Tom A. feeling sickly. These are indeed dark days but I intend to get
>on my knees and pray to the deity of my choice for his speedy recovery.
>Might I suggest all you other Rapidwinder converts join me?
>
>John Collier

Long ago I had a Leicavit for my IIIg. It worked, but it nearly
killed me when I used a Visoflex with one. Instant arbitrary
appendectomy.

I stayed away from such stuff for many years. Recently I got an LHSA
camera, and asked Tom to make me a Rapidwinder and grip to match.
With a heavy Leica lens, this is the way to make it all work. A
(relatively) blunt tip on the winder lever, _very_ smooth action, and
elegant workmanship have convinced me that this is the way to go. It
took Tom ten years, but I am now a convert. I still wouldn't use them
with a Visoflex :-).

Smileys have been rare lately. I suggest that they be used more often
again. This can be fun stuff. Use your filters. None of this is life
threatening.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design