Subject: RE: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:11:55 -0400

> Austin writes:
>
> > I sometimes feel that way too, but there certainly
> > is a huge difference between instigating (inciting)
> > and raising a topic for discussion.
>
> No, there is not.  The difference is in the perception.

No, Anthony.  The difference is NOT in perception, it is in intent.  You are
trying to play your little game right now.  You say something purposely to
instigate a response (and the response is typically predictable) that you
can then argue with.

> The problem is that there is very little point to any discussion
> group in which
> disagreement is forbidden or eschewed.  If everyone agrees and
> thinks in the
> same way, what's to discuss?  All you really have is a social
> club, where those
> who feel insecure when confronted with the slightest sign of difference or
> unfamiliarity can feel warm and fuzzy.

Ah!  So your goal here, is to be the social director...purposely instigating
argument.  It is clear that what you want to do...argue.  Discussion is not
necessarily argument.  No matter what anyone says, you tell them they are
wrong.  If everyone agreed with you, you would change your position.  You
are a fool's errand.

> I prefer a productive exchange of information and opinions.

YOU prefer to argue.  You even make me look like an agreeable sort of chap!