Subject: Re: [Leica] Double M- bayonet lens holder
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:00:45 -0400

Yes, the greatest invention since straps.

Despite the care needed when using the older wide angles that have
protruding rear elements a little fore thought will pack more in less space.
The trick is to set up your bag and always put the same lenses together.

For example, I only have two lenses with protruding elements the 15 and the
21 SA.  The 21 always gets its own back cap as it protrudes really far.  So,
the 75 and the 15 live together, the 50 and the 35 live together. and the 28
typically lives on a body.  Therefore the b**, I don't want to start that
one up again, has one end filled with a body with lens, two pockets are
filled with the doubled lenses, a third pocket has the appropriate lens
hoods needed.  That leaves one pocket free for the 21.  The 75 has a long
void before any glass so a protruding element won't hit anything.

The discipline comes in not just willy nilly switching lenses around in the
bag.  Not only will that slow you down as you never know where a lens is but
it can also lead to unwelcome conjugations in the bag leading to who knows
what couplings.  So, if I am taking off the 15 I need to put it back with
the 75 and then mount what ever is next.  Which to complete this weekends
discourse leads me to have a second body with the opposite lens that I'm
using so I won't be slowed down.  If I'm using the 21 then the opposite
could be a 50 or 75.  That way if something completely different occurs I'm
not fumbling around in the bag looking to go long(or short).  Likewise,
sometimes its better to just take the shot with an almost right lens then
miss the shot with the right lens.

Just more lengthy discourse

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com