Subject: Re: [Leica] practical question - or should it be saved for Friday?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:35:28 -0400

No, I don't think the Cron's are supposed to be better than the Elmarits
within a given design generation.  It takes tremendous effort to make a
faster lens better than a slower lens.  Don't quote me but I seem to recall
that moving one aperture down squares the difficulty of aberration
elimination.

What I think confuses the issue is comparing a fifties production 50 Elmar
to a nineties production Summicron.  The latest 50 Elmar is certainly a very
good performer even in the "O"  Within the current generation of offerings
from Solms: except for the most demanding of users, you know, the ones who
don't use film faster than 100 and always carry a tirpod, you should choose
a given focal length based on size desired and cash on hand.  The
performance level available is beyond what most of us can achieve hand held
with 400 film.

Advice repeatedly given by some better than myself is don't worry, load some
film and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com