Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:24:21 -0700

Maira Egle wrote:
>Sorry, Ted, you miss a point. Of course too often there is not enough time
> to pick details when shooting - but if the resulting printed or scanned
> image displays obvious faults, sorry, you've missed your "Moment of life"
> (Nathan's pict. 35 case is not the best to invoke.here).  You can't
exclude
> "analytical things" from any moment of life.  Otherwise you are in for
> mediocrity - definitely<<<

Hi M,
Sorry I wasn't referring to after the exposure cropping when making the
print, as I'm sure very nearly all of us do some crop decisions, burns,
dodges etc to improve the photograph. That's a given, one should do that to
make it appear better than when it was shot.

I was talking about the moment right there in front of your face when it
happens. One doesn't stand there looking it over making a bunch of
analytical thought processes if it's a fleeting moment of  life experience,
unless you're shooting rocks and ferns, peeling paint and non breathing
things. ;-)

Then that's cool, take all the time you want, move here, there and yon
before you make the exposure making the best use of composition, light and
timing before the moss grows.

But in Nathan's photograph, this kind of situation doesn't allow time or
very little, that if you don't go with your immediate instinct to shoot the
"life moment" it's gone.

Yep you can twitch the print  in the darkroom, but if you haven't made the
shot in the blink of an eye, no matter how good one is in the darkroom, you
can't put in what isn't there in the first place.

Hopefully I'm on the right track with your thoughts.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant