Subject: Re: [Leica] Private property and buildings
From: "R. Richard Hirtler" <hirtler@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 17:10:34 -0400

Mike,

Unless there are signs stating that photography is forbidden, I don't see
what laws can prevent you from taking the shot.  What you do with them may
be another matter.

Just because the suits are coming down the street does not mean they can lay
a hand on you.  Even the police (hopefully) must have just cause.

If someone threatens you (verbally or physically), that can be construed as
assault.  If they lay a hand on you, it's battery.

I was once at a company function at a hotel.  I was shooting candid photos
of some colleagues milling about.  I had my Leica M6 with a rented Noc and
T-Max 3200.

A woman comes up to me and asks if I am shooting photos for the hotel.  I
replied no, I shoot as a hobby.  She walked away.  A moment later a guy
walked up to me and asked why I was shooting pictures of his girlfriend.  I
assured him that I was not.  This guy was obviously a few sheets to the
wind, so he started hurling a few insults my way.  Then he tells me that if
I know what's good for me I'll hand over the film.

At this point I had had enough of him.  So I told him to turn around and go
back to his side of the bar.  I really wasn't in the mood to risk $5000
worth of camera while defending myself.  At this point a buddy of mine
sensed that something was amiss and joined in.

To make a long story short, the boyfriend ran crying to the bar management
who then proceeded to slap my hand and ask me not to shoot any more photos.

Mike, if you have this happen to you again, you may want to stand your
ground by politely, but firmly, asking the person for some ID.  Even if you
do end up getting the boot, at least you know and they know that you are not
someone who is pushed around easily.

There is nothing wrong in challenging authority, or those who presume to
have it.

- -Rick