Subject: Re: [Leica] What are some other camera brands non-Leica whichpeople here use ?
From: "R. Richard Hirtler" <hirtler@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:57:47 -0400

On 9/6/01 2:43 PM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Rick - Let me suggest that the question isn't alleged lack of
> reliability with the Rs, but, rather, what features do you want in a
> reflex?

Good points.  My first SLR was a Nikon FM2.  A great camera.  However, I
encountered problems with focusing.  I wear contacts, and found that if my
contacts were blurry, I could not get a crisp focus with the FM2.  Which led
me to the N90 and the F4S (which I traded eventually for the Hasselblad).
It was around this time (1997) that the manager of my local pro shop
introduced me to the Leica M.  I love this camera.

I do not have a blurry contacts/focusing issue with the M.  Presumably
because of the manner in which a rangefinder focuses (split image).  Blurry
vision or no, it's still easy to determine when an image is split. :-)

From my perspective, a reflex camera is the logical choice for things like
macro or wildlife photography.  For sports photography (aka, action), AF SLR
would be the way to go.  Here is where something like a Nikon F5 would rule.

The shop I frequent has used R6's and a used R8 for sale.  But I am hesitant
to buy into a new SLR platform.  Most likely I will rent one of these to see
if a Leica R really for me.

> Forget the 'mine is better than yours' bs, and go out and handle the
> cameras in question, ask yourself whether you want, or will want,
> autofocus, matrix flash metering, five point spot metering, etc., or
> whether those are features you can easilly forego. Then look at the
> various lens lines. Then, as Homer Simpson would say, Just Donut!!

I have all those things with my N90.  Yet my N90 had sat unused for almost a
year until just recently.  My M6 was always the first choice.  I prefer B&W
to color and high-speed film to using flash.

- -Rick

Replies: Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] What are some other camera brands non-Leicawhichpeople here use ?)