Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Leicas for sports/action photography?
From: "R. Richard Hirtler" <hirtler@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:04:38 -0400

Albert,

In the nine or so years I have spent as a serious amateur photographer, I
recall maybe one time where a situation required me to use a shutter speed
higher than 1/1000 sec (on my old FM2).  And that was only because I was
using a 3200 speed color print film in equatorial daylight (I hate wasting
film).

Have you ever considered that the reason you may not see Leicas at sporting
events is because of the somewhat higher price for the bodies, lens, etc.,
or the delusion that you do not get as much bang for the buck with a Leica R
as you do with other SLRs.

Also, it's a herd mentality.  "All the real pros are using AF SLRs, so that
is what I should be using too."

Fast moving sports were around long before AF became available and yet we
have a photographic history of sharp-focused fast moving sports which
predates AF.  How is that?  Well, my guess is that these men and women
didn't even know what AF was, let alone that the technology would one day be
available.  They did not have a sense of not being able to get the shot
without AF.  They just went out there and captured the image.

What I have learned in using the M is that I must pay attention and
anticipate the shot before all the elements are in place.  The same
principle should apply with the R.

- -Rick