Subject: Re: [Leica] Private property and buildings
From: "R. Richard Hirtler" <hirtler@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:30:41 -0400

On 9/7/01 11:32 AM, "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've always found the US a difficult place to photograph.  Many people are
> quite paranoid and assume the worst when a stranger takes thier picture.

I think the problem is that in the past few decades two things critical to
human society have become more and more scarce in the US.  Privacy and
manners.

Privacy, in that a huge segment of the US media industry is built on
catching people "in the act", whatever that means.  Usually it means
catching people at their worst (at least in the subject's eyes).

Manners, in that it is so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  I
am not accusing anyone of being ill-mannered.  But how many times have you
seen people treat each other in a less than courteous way.  Eventually,
everyone's guard is up.  Expecting strangers to walk up and pull a fast one
on you.

It's sad.

- -Rick in NJ

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Private property and buildings)