Subject: Re: [Leica] lens heresy
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:34:29 -0600

Hi Dan,

If I may answer your question by talking about something else. In 1972 the
difference in production cost of a Cadillac and a Chevrolet was $300. The
retail price was $1000's different. The only thing that will happen if Leica
makes a second tier of lenses is that they will take sales away from the
lenses they make money on. The very same thing happened with the CL. There
were $65 000 CLs sold and Leica made diddly squat on every one. The buyers
did not move up and buy M5s as Leica hoped. The only one who did well, in
both prestige and profit, was Minolta. There are many low cost alternatives
to new M lenses. You can buy used or Voitina (which makes a more complete
LTM/M line than Leica does!)

John Collier