Subject: RE: [Leica] lens heresy
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:19:37 -0500

Felix,

Before we totally write off the importance of the camera body, let's not
forget that film plane tolerances are pretty critical. Cheap bodies don't go
overboard on anything, much less film rails and the back plate. I recall
some pretty interesting discussions years ago regarding research into the
value of the vacuum back on the Contax RTSIII. Somebody even posted some of
the research peformed by the engineer who designed the vacuum back.

From memory, some of the highlights form that thread included the following:

- --Film flatness is extremely important to overall image quality. The better
the lens (i.e. the more you're pushing the edges of the envelope) the more
important the camera body becomes.
- -- Not all camera bodies are equal when it comes to film flatness.
- --Factors such as whether or not film has been in the gate for a while --
i.e. did you just advance the film, or did you advance the film yesterday
and has it been sitting in the film gate for a while -- can make a
difference in the image.
- -- One reason Leica Ms perform so well is that the bodies are milled from
solid steel. They're extremely rigid. They're machined to exacting
tolerances. Therefore they tend to hold the film pretty darn flat.

The thread probably took place 6 or 7 years ago. There was a lot more to it,
which I can't recall. The bottom line is that the camera body is important.
It certainly opened my eyes to some things. Photography is a system. The
camera body is as important as the lens.

Dave