Subject: Re: [Leica] Noct vs 50 'lux
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:29:54 -0500

David Rogers wonders:

> I wonder how popular 50mm lenses are these days. I'm guessing the 35/1.4
> ASPH outsells the 50/1.4 by quite a bit. I wonder if anyone has any numbers
> that might support or refute that.
>
> Dave

David,

Back in the '60s, when the M was in its heyday, before Leica stopped issuing
production numbers the annual production report for the the 50/1.4 was
around 2000 units per year. Think about that. Now with leica sales nowhere
where they used to be the sales of new 50/1.4s is probably way under 2000
annualy. I bet the the Noctilux is under a 1000 per year and certainly this
is the reason for the high cost--they are specialty items made for a few
discerning photographers.

sl