Subject: Re: [Leica] Hybrid Leica M/Contax G systems
From: "David Kieltyka" <dkieltyka@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:37:07 -0400

<DBaker9128@aol.com> wrote:

> Do other Leica M owners on the LUG follow Davidson's practice
> of mixing Contax with Leica?

I do. But I use a pair of 1950s Contax cameras, IIa and IIIa, rather than
the current G models. (I had a G2 for a couple years...awesome lenses but
the lack of a proper manual focusing capability finally got to me and I gave
it up.) My main Domke 803 usually contains a Contax IIa with 21 f/4.5 Zeiss
Biogon, Leica M2 with 35 Summilux (pre-ASPH) and Leica IIIf with an LTM 50
f/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar. One of the Domke's pouches holds an LTM 50 f/3.5 Elmar
that I sometimes use instead of the Sonnar or 'Lux. An alternate
configuration consists of a 50 DR Summicron for the M2 and an LTM 35 f/2.8
Biogon for the IIIf. The other 803 has a Contax IIIa with 50 f/1.5 Opton
Sonnar, a Leica M3 with 90 Summicron (late 80s version) and either a 135 f/4
Opton Sonnar for the Contax or a 135 f/4 Tele-Elmar for the M3. I don't use
the 135s often but they're great to have handy when I need the reach. An
alternate configuration here is the DR Summicron for the M3 and an 85 f/2
Sonnar for the Contax. I always decide which bag I'm taking and which lenses
I'll be using before I go out. I hate changing lenses. :-)

- -Dave-