Subject: Re: [Leica] winder m4-2 question
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 09:13:05 -0600

Mine was as noisy as an M16 at one meter and as jumpy as a three year old in
a toy store. I had it overhauled and it is now very quiet and smooth. It is
certainly not small nor particularly light when loaded with batteries but it
balances well with the heavier lenses. Regardless of what Leica says, USE IT
ONLY AS A SINGLE SHOT DEVICE!!!! Be sure to remove your finger completely
after each exposure. There are adjustments in the camera that control when
the winding mechanism is released during the cycling of the shutter. IT IS
VERY COMMON FOR THE WINDER TO START ITS CYCLE BEFORE THE SHUTTER HAS
FINISHED. This causes uneven exposures at best and, worse, jams and shutter
damage are possible. This is especially true with the speeds below 1/50. BE
CAREFUL!

John Collier