Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: W. Eugene Smith
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 19:05:53 -0800

>Luggites,
>    One further reason to see the Gene Smith exhibit.
>    He made the prints.
>    In his will/agreement with the University of Arizona where his archives
>are held, they are prohibited from making new prints from his negatives.
>    A few years ago, I had a talk with someone from the University and
>expressed an interested in seeing a new master print made from the
>Schweitzer in the Pith Helmet photo. Smith double printed in the hand and
>the saw in the lower right corner. I'd like to see a print with out the
>double printing and so told it was not possible because of this agreement.
>    Jim Hughes, Gene Smith's biographer told me, he has seen seven different
>versions of the pith helmet picture. In my book collection, I think I have
>four.
>Happy Snaps,
>Sal DiMarco, Jr.
>Philadelphia, PA

Also interesting (and telling) are some of his other manipulated classics:
compare, for example, the "stright" and burned versions of the Haitian
madwoman prints, and the full frame and (radically) cropped shot of a woman
(against a wall?) from the Spanish Village essay.

Incredible
Incredible
Incredible

An absolute f****** master!