Subject: Re: [Leica] My 1st Generation f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R Lens...
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:26:29 -0400

Greg,

Welcome to the world of the 280/2.8. It's been my most frequently
used R lens this year.

I have not dropped mine on my foot 'tho I once made a spectacular
diving catch when I hadn't tightened up the tripod enough.

Forget about the 1x ND filter. Don't even bring it along.  Leitz
mandated that it was to be used at all times except when shooting
into the sun.  I found that the filter was a dust magnet and actually
degraded the image, so it stays in the nice metal case all the time.

You don't say whether your new outfit includes the palm rest.  If it
doesn't, do not buy the $150 current pistol stock. It doesn't fit this
lens.  You'll need the 14632 stock which New York Camera &
Video was able to get for me late last year.

The stock does provide a better grip for shooting this beast
handheld.  However, you still have to cart the thing around either
hanging from your shoulder on a heavy-duty strap or in a backpack.
 I found the lens easier to transport especially on birding
expeditions when it was attached to an extended monopod or
tripod.  That way I could carry it over my shoulder and cradle it in
the crook of my arm, keeping my hands free to use binoculars.

I would also suggest that if you haven't already done so, get a
uniform ground glass focus screen for your camera body.  The
screen normally supplied with the body is an abomination to use
with this lens because of the blackout of part of the central circle.

As for performance, all I can say is that if you do your part be
prepared to be blown away by the results!

Roy