Subject: Re: [Leica] My 1st Generation f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R Lens...
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:42:05 +0200

"Greg J. Lorenzo" wrote:

> What do you use for a tripod and head for this lens? I have a couple of
> Benbo tripods but this lens is way too heavy for the Trekker (my
> favorite tripod) and perhaps even for the Benbo 2. My old Gitzo tripod
> weighs a ton and never gets outdoors.

Greg,

With the Apo 280/2,8 (previous model like yours) equipped with a Wimberley
plate P-30, I use the Wimberley Head + their Arca type clamp on a Gitzo
Mountaineer Mk2 (Series 3) G 1348 model equipped with G1321 leveling base.
<http://www.tripodhead.com/>
<http://www.naturephotographers.net/gsplates.html>
<http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric/tripods/mountaineer/rightscreen.php3>
<http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric/video/accessories/rightscreen.php3>

The reason I'm using the Wimberley Head instead of the Sidekick with the
280/2,8 is because it is not possible to have the Sidekick lock knob on the
left hand and the R8 in portrait mode (vertical) with the motor grip in the
right hand.
And that because the tripod mount of the 280/2,8 goes only on 90° on each side
of the normal position, instead of 360° on the more recent 70-180/2,8, 180/2,
280/4 and I think the Apo-Modul).
Some users prefer to have the locking knob and the shutter release on the same
side and then use the Sidekick with the 280/2,8.

But on the other side, I'm using the Sidekick with the 280/2,8 on a Monopod,
equipped with a RRS clamp,  because on a Monopod I usually prefer to let the
knob loose anyway.

Some reviews:

<http://www.naturephotographers.net/gs.html>
<http://www.naturephotographers.net/dfs0500-2.html>