Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom!
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:07:34 -0500

Mark -

FWIW, I have an 80/5.6 El Nikkor of about 1970 vintage.  It too got
cloudy over the years, but Sherry Krauter just cleaned it up last year
and it looks like new.  Only took her a couple of weeks and cost $73,
total.  I picked up an 80/4.0 Rodagon (not APO) from "the auction site"
and like it for its illuminated aperture window, but on paper I don't
see any difference between it and the decades old Nikon.  In addition,
unlike the Nikon the Rodagon has a projecting rear element that
interferes with the sliding red filter (which I actually use on rare
occasion) on my Beseler 45 enlarger.

For 35mm I have used a 50 Focotar since about 1970, which like the El
Nikkor had gotten cloudy over the years (can't say it was any less or
more than the Nikkor.)  Sherry cleaned that last year too.  Just to keep
current I also picked up an APO Rodagon 50/2.8, to see if I was missing
anything.  The Rodenstock lens won't fit in a Beseler recessed lensboard
with its preset lever in place, but Rodenstock provided (free!! -
terrific customer service) a replacement mount without the lever (just
unscrew the front and rear lens units and screw them into the new mount,
which has the aperture blades).  However, in a recessed board, you can't
really see the aperture window, so you have to count clicks from full
open.  As for performance, I don't see any difference between the
Focotar and APO Rodagon on B&W prints up to about 16x enlargement.
Except that the Focotar is about a third to half stop brighter (darker
print) at the same indicated aperture.  Perhaps the APO would make a
visible difference in color work, but I don't do color.

So if your old 50 gave good results when new, then unless you're
committed to a new lens, you might consider letting Sherry clean up your
old 50.

Cheers,
Kip

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom!)