Subject: RE: [Leica] Self introduction and first info-seeking topic
From: "thomas schofield" <tdschofield@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:03:31 -0700

There once was a line of thought that horizontal shutters gave a more
pleasing perspective for horizontally moving subjects than vetical shutters.
Something called focal plane shutter distortion which occurs when the
subject is moving while the shutter slit is travelling its course.  The
subject was not in the same place when the slit started as it is in when the
slit finishes, elongating or compressing the subject.  Remeber, even though
any given point on the film maybe getting only 1/1000 or 1/2000 of a second
of light, one spot may be getting its 1/1000th or 1/2000th of light, 15 or
30/1000ths of a sec. later than another spot (e.g. with a 1mm slit width).
That, I beleive, is one reason why only the consumer models (e.ge.
Nikkormat) had vertical travelling shutters and the professional models had
horizontal shutters (e.g. F, F2, F3).

Maybe its no longer an issue with modern, high speed shutters, or just that
no one talks about sacrificing this issue to get other advantages (higher
shutter speeds, higher flash sych, etc.), and the absence of people using MF
focal plane shutter cameras (Pentax 67, Exacta 66, Pentacon, Hasselblad F)
for action phtography.

Tom Schofield