Subject: Re: [Leica] Self introduction and first info-seeking topic
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:20:46 -0400

While that makes intuitive sense, when was "once?"  I know there is the
famous picture of the race car taken with a Graflex or something older, but
that type of distortion seems to be more an artifact of huge, slow-moving FP
shutters than small ones found on 35mm cameras.  But if you had a
horizontally-moving subject, wouldn't your subject be elongated with a
horizontal shutter?

When you have a shutter that is wide-open at 1/30 of a second, it makes
senses that you could have some distortion.  But when the average shutter
can be fully open at 1/125 sec, I think there are far fewer issues.

The move to vertical probably came as a result of someone realizing that
crossing 24mm of film can be done a lot faster than 36.  2/3 of 1/90 is
close to 1/125 sec.

While it is tempting to see this as a difference between pro and amateur, it
is worth mentioning that the reason why Nikon did not have a vertical
shutter with the F is that it did not have a license to use them (nor were
they fully developed by that point).  See

http://www.thatinternetaddress.com/photo/konicaslr/history.html

for an explanation of the how and why of the Copal FP shutter in modern
SLRS.  Mamiya made the Nikkorex SLRs and they had a license.  Nippon Kogaku
did not have the license when the F came out.  Presumably due to the tooling
costs, the F was made for 12 years, until the F2 appeared in 1971.

So why do Nikkormats have vertical shutters?  The Nikkormats were
reengineered around the body casting.  With a vertical shutter you cut down
the number of castings.  The Nikkormats were reengineered from the F:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society/cousins/cousins05-e.htm

and the vertical shutters are cheaper to house.  It is noted that it is very
tough to redo a body design, and with the huge popularity of the F, Nikon
was probably nervous about changing the design.  When the F2 came about, it
was necessary to retain most of the F's design:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society/rhnc/rhnc04f2-e.htm

God only knows what was going on with the F3.  Probably tradition?  That
probably also explains the M6 shutter - you have to keep it given the height
of the camera.

Dante