Subject: [Leica] Re: shutter direction
From: "B.Entus" <brutus@mda.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:03:49 -0700

At 01:08 PM 24/09/01 -0700, you wrote:
>There once was a line of thought that horizontal shutters gave a more
>pleasing perspective for horizontally moving subjects than vetical shutters.
>Something called focal plane shutter distortion which occurs when the
>subject is moving while the shutter slit is travelling its course.  The
>That, I beleive, is one reason why only the consumer models (e.ge.
>Nikkormat) had vertical travelling shutters and the professional models had
>horizontal shutters (e.g. F, F2, F3).

I think the main reasons for the horizontal shutters on these (or similar)
models
was longer experience with the design and better adaptability to motor
drives.

Flash sync and availability from suppliers like Copal or Seiko may have been
main factors in use of vertical shutters on other models.

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (RE: [Leica] Re: shutter direction)