Subject: [Leica] mail delays
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 23:59:36 -0700

The Leica Users mailing list has a fairly elaborate indexing system.
Each time a digest is generated, the software re-indexes the current
volume.

For whatever reason, the rate at which Leica Users messages are arriving is now
greater than the rate at which mejac.palo-alto.ca.us can index them. That means
that before a "re-index the volume" computation completes, a new one
comes along. Many of you have noticed that the index update hasn't worked in
about a week.

These past few days I was in Maryland at my 35th high school reunion (High Point
High School, Beltsville, Maryland). And then I got to be on campus at the
University of Maryland when the tornado struck.

But while I was gone, the index runs piled up. Today when I got back from the
airport I discovered that the computer was completely paralyzed running 11 index
jobs, for each of the 11 most recent digests.

I have no choice in the short term but to turn off the indexing; otherwise
everything will stop. In the long run it's time to move to a faster computer.
In between I have to figure how some sort of workaround, e.g. only re-run the
index every 2 days, or make the volumes be smaller, or something.

Sorry about the delay. You should all now have an absolute avalanche of email,
and those of you who feel the need to reply to everything need to limber up
your typing fingers...

Brian Reid