Subject: Re: [Leica] Response to David's Gallery
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:21:11 -0400

David, thank you for posting some of your latest pictures.  Of the grouping
the first children with violins had good composition and visual interest.
The baby ballerina holding her shoes by the portapotties was very strong.
Wait a while, then go back, look at those two again to see if you would
print them any differently.  For me, I need a lot of time to mull over a
print before I'm completely happy with it.

On a different subject, why are you shooting indoor school pictures with
Plus-X?  You will have a much higher hit rate by using Delta 400, Neopan
1600, or even TMY in X-tol 1:3.  You can retain the wide open look but gain
the option of a much higher shutter speed.  I know that the local camera
store can get this stuff starting October 1st, and if they are difficult
then get it from B&H or some other reputable house.  With the exception of
Neopan the mentioned emulsions can be obtained in 100ft rolls to bulk load.
Besides, as an enterprising photographer, you should be able to get the
school to foot the bill for the yearbook and I don't know many who didn't
accidentally shoot a few "test" rolls that didn't have anything to do with
the school.

Just planting evil thoughts in young minds

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com