Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Speeds on the M Cameras
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:14:54 -0600

All M shutters are variable except between 1/8 and 1/15, this is where it
switches from the medium speed to the slow speed mechanism; and, except
between 1/30 and 1/60, switches from high speed to medium speed mechanism.
However these intermediate speeds are not calibrated (except for 1/50) and
NOT coupled to the meter (except for 1/50). So putting it half way between
two speeds does not mean you will get a half stop difference and the meter
reading will be inaccurate. This is why Leica recommends against use of the
intermediate speeds. Pactically, as long as you test first and meter before
moving to the intermediate setting, it should be fine.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Shutter Speeds on the M Cameras)