Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide show software
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:18:36 -0700

Hi Dave,
Well yes and no.  Yes, in the sense that it current projector technology
(within a reasonable price range) limits absolute resolution.  No, when you
consider that there are alot of factors that affect the quality of a slide
show which are difficult to control.

1) You don't want to show your originals due to fading, and duplicates are
just never as good.
2) Slides get dirty, so you're always chasing lint, dust, and the like.
3) It's very difficult to get perfect focus across the entire film plane, as
film is never flat.
4) There is no opportunity to perform color corrections and other
enhancements

A digital slide show is totally repeatable.  You can photoshop the images to
your satisfaction, digital images never accumulate dust, and the LCD display
being projected is always flat, so focus is never a problem.  And, you can
repurpose your slide show for deployment on CD-ROM, or on a website.

Last year, at the Santa Fe Workshops, I saw a presentation by one of the
instructors who specializes in landscape photography.  His projector was a
garden-variety Epson with 1024x768 resolution.  His presentation slotted
right in between others using conventional projectors, and yet everyone was
amazed at the image quality.  David Alan Harvey showed a video on that same
projector (produced by one of his sons), of him photographing in Cuba.  The
video had a great soundtrack, with voice over by David, shots of him
working, and loads of his stills.  The effect was really great, even though
it was just plain NTSC video.

After more research, it looks like PowerPoint is going to work out for
simple slide show.  I spent the better part of this evening on some specific
tests.  The latest version has a 'background' audio feature, then you can
overlay specific sounds that get played for particular slides.  I'm trying
to figure out if Final Cut Pro might do the job as well.  The idea would be
to basically create a High Def non-interlaced video.  I think you could get
quite good quality that way.

- --Jim