Subject: [Leica] End of R line [was: Tri-Asph]
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 09:34:35 -0800

>Felix - I'm sure the zooms don't touch the primes...Some things never
>change..:-)...But as to wanting that autofocus SLR and some 2.8 zooms -
>do NOT hold your breath. Rather than that ever happening, I'd be willing
>to bet that in the next 12 to 18 months we will read of the end of the R
>line entirely. Why do I say that? I say it because once again Leica's
>latest financial report shows the R line continuing to decline in
>sales...The question has really become 'how low can you go' before
>pulling the plug. Sad, but reality based.
>B. D.

People have been predicting the end of the R line since I subscribed a
couple of years ago. It hasn't happened yet, but repeated long enough, the
claim is bound to come true one day.

On a related note, has the R6.2 really been discontinued, as some Lugger
mentioned not too long ago? Does anyone have any factual info on this? If
so, do the economic gurus among us see this as a way to cut some ballast
from the R line, or as the beginning of the end for Leica SLRs?

Guy

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] End of R line [was: Tri-Asph])