Subject: [Leica] Security
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:27:46 -0400

Speaking of security - Just spent three days in NY, and traveled there
and back from and to Boston by Acela train, the allegedly high-speed
train now in fitful operation along the NE corridor.

Prior to my trip I was informed by Amtrak via the travel agent that one
needed to be at the station early, and have photo id, which would be
matched to tickets.

Well, the reality is that there is NO rail road security other than an
Amtrak cop on the train. One goes to the station as before. Waits on the
platform as before. Gets on the train as before. Stashes and leaves
oversized bags on racks at the end of the car - as before, and gives the
conductor ones ticket, as before. No photo IDs. No bag checks of any
type. No limitation on stashed - and potentially 'abandoned bags.'
Nothing.

Coming back, at Penn Station in NYC, an Amtrak - probably minimum wage -
employee looked at tickets and we filed down to the platform - just as
they did before the attack.

The bottom line seems to be that while there may be a half-assed effort
at airline security, that's it. Nothing is being done to protect rail
lines, trains, passengers, or massive inner city facilities such as Penn
Station, Grand Central, or similar stations in other cities...

ah well..