Subject: RE: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:24:26 -0400

> Hmmm.  Guess I shouldn't have touched off this one again... All I am going
> to say is that, in my experience (and I do have alot of experience in this
> area), the current model Land Rovers are the only suitable expedition
> vehicle left on the market.

WHICH ONES?  The Discovery?  NO!  The Defender 90?  Yes!  The 108?  YES YES!
The Range Rover...well, the 4.6, though a nice yuppie vehicle, does not get
good traction in the snow becuase of its quite wide tires...so if it's a
4.0...yes, a 4.6...may be.

> The Discovery
> is just a different body on the exact same platform as the Defender.

I don't believe that's true...so you have documentation on this?  I have
driven RRs and LRs for 20 years, and belong to many a RR group...and no one
has ever mentioned that.

> In
> fact, you can interchange engine, drivetrain, and suspension parts between
> them!

Some parts, yes...but engine and some of the drive train isn't indicative of
the vehicle.  I think suspension is entirely different.

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability)