Subject: Re: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 12:29:27 -0700

Austin,
Nope, the suspension is virtually identical.  I have a 1997 NAS spec D90 and
1996 NAS Discovery sitting in my garage.  Slide under both and see for
yourself.  The majority of suspension bits are interchangeable.  Both
vehicles use the same 4.0 litre V8 engine, the same differentials, the same
transmission and trasnfer case.  Some NAS Discoverys use a rubber driveshaft
coupling at the rear diff instead of a ujoint, but LRNA will change that for
any customers who ask.

My 1997 UK spec Discovery Tdi, that we used on London Bombay Cebu this year,
uses the same 300 Tdi that you'll find in any Defender 110 (well, up to 1999
or so, when the Td5 came out).  Same trans, same xfer case, same suspension,
etc.  Even the frame is substantially the same, except for the length.  In
fact, when we left India, I gave a bunch of suspension parts to our guide as
a gift, who used them on his 1985 (pre Defender) 110.  Only difference here
is that the gearing is slightly higher in order to improve road cruising.
Of course, the driveshaft lengths are different, depending on your wheelbase
(D90 92.5", D110 110", Disco 100").  In the Sahara, we were sharing parts
between 110s, Discoverys, and even older Range Rovers!  Part of the beauty
of the design is that there is so much parts interchageablility.

Before you pass judgement, take a current model Land Rover on a REAL
overland trek, then come back and tell us what you think.  Truth is, that
all expeditions involve a fair amount of either tarmac driving during
transits, or dirt road driving.  Drive a 110 tdi through the Sahara for a
week, then try a Discovery tdi.  Both are great vehicles and up to the
challenge, but the din inside the 110 will beat the living hell out of you.
The Discovery design reduces driver fatigue, thereby allowing you to go
farther in a stretch.  A typical scenario on expedition is to use 110s as
load carriers, and Discoverys and Range Rovers for passengers.

A friend of mine is a desert guide, and has led dozens of trips in the
Sahara.  His vehicle of choice?  A Range Rover with the 3.5 litre V8.  :-p

Oh, and one more thing...Land Rovers can take you to all sorts of cool
places, so DON'T FORGET YOUR LEICAS!  ;-)

- --Jim