Subject: RE: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:14:53 -0400

> Austin,
> Nope, the suspension is virtually identical.

I do believe some parts are the same, but really "virtually" is pretty
amorphous.  You said it was the (and I quote) "Discovery is just a different
body on the EXACT same platform as the Defender".  I think you may have been
a bit "optimistic" in that claim.

It is not untypical for any auto manufacturer to use common parts across
models...but there are still differences, like spring rates, ECUs as well as
many other "differences".  The D110 does not have the same differential, it
uses a Salisbury in the rear.

> Before you pass judgement,

Pass judgment on what?  I drive a current model RR...and I've had RRs and
LRs for over 20 years...

> take a current model Land Rover on a REAL
> overland trek, then come back and tell us what you think.

I've done it many times, and it's great...I'm missing your point...do you
think I don't like them or something?  If that's what you think, you're
mistaken, I do like them very much or I wouldn't own one!

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability)
Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability)