Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: New Aviation Rules
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:45:16 -0400

> The wavelength of an 850 MHz signal is about 14 inches.  Such a signal
> could go out the plane windows easily.

Yes, I agree with that, but as you said, the directionality of the ground
antenna is very directional...so I'm still skeptical that it really works.

> > They weren't cell phones from what I understand, but the on-board plane
> > phones...  Do you know they were in fact cell phones?
>
> No, I don't know this for a fact.  I'm relying on the news reports which
> said so and so called on "his" or "her" cell phone.  So I can't confirm
> this.  It would be interesting to find out.

I agree!

> My old P-166

Was it in a system that passed FCC?  If you bought it from Sheng Chow
Computer down the road, or built it your self, I assure you, it was not even
close to passing FCC EMI tests.  Also, if you added any cards to it, it
probably would fail too.  Really the only computers that are "clean" are the
name brand ones, like Dell, Gateway, Compaq etc...but as I said, if you add
a card to it, or change any of the hardware, it's a whole new ballgame.

> > WRONG.  Notebooks and ANY consumer electronics are subject to the same
> > regulatory requirements, it has nothing to do with cost.
>
> Legally, yes, but I strongly suspect that such certification is more
> strongly enforced and complied with when it comes to laptops, which are
> often used on airplanes by business travelers.

ALL of the "name brand" manufacturers do this testing...and have to pass.
The penalties are quite stiff...I've been at Comdex (and other shows) and
seen the FCC going around checking and fining...

> I am also skeptical of how *likely* it is that they would interfere.

Good ;-)

> Years ago, I was on a Canadian ferry between the mainland and Victoria,
> B.C.
> I asked a ship's officer if I could operate my 2-watt 144 MHz
> transceiver to call a friend in Victoria.  "Oh, no," he said, "it will
> interfere with our navigation equipment."

That's really funny!

> In recent times, I've never been refused, in fact, the
> ship's officers have been amused that I even asked.

That's more what I would have expected ;-)

> I think I've contributed all I can to this OT subject, and will now drop
> it.  Fortunately, I know of nothing in my Leica cameras or lenses that
> could interfere with airplane navigation.

Well, as I've maintained, the 75/1.4 with a RabidWinder could very well be
used as a weapon...and therefore interfere with airplane navigation, well,
in a loose sense that is.  That lense makes a very nice handle, and the
spike on the RabidWinder could certainly do some damage.  I'd also say a
Leica on the end of a camera strap too would make a very dangerous weapon,
especially one in each hand...but with those, you need a bit or running
room.

Thanks for your info, I appreciated your input and opinions!