Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Peeved at choice of material - M5 flash shoe
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:04:42 -0700

Gary Todoroff wrote:

>>> Right on, Ted! I just shot four rolls of Tri-X last night at our Eureka
> "First Saturday Night Arts Alive!" with a couple thousand people strolling
> the streets and galleries of town. Used M3 and 50mm Summilux, mostly wide
> open at f1.4.
> Great fun! The negs are drying right now after development in good ol'
D-76.
> Some habits die hard.<<<<<

Hi Gary,
And that's what photography is supposed to be all about, fun! If one isn't
having fun, why bother with it as there are a zillion hobbies and
professions people could engage in less costly as an amateur and more money
making as a profession.

Your point of   "> "First Saturday Night Arts Alive!" with a couple thousand
people >strolling the streets and galleries of town. Used M3 and 50mm
Summilux, mostly >wide open at f1.4.<<<<

And using strictly the existing available light is what sorts out the nice,
good, great and magical light pictures from the so so flash encountered etc
etc my usual rantings about flash pictures. ;-)

If photographers would cast aside their fear of working wide open and
discard the "f8 and be there" mentality for depth of field while using the
light that motivated their seeing in the first place, their pictures would
improve. Or certainly begin to have a real life look. Certainly when, like
you "taking to the street" for some fun picture taking.

I've always been motivated by what I see as light and subject combined. And
when using M cameras I rarely think "Oh gee whiz to bad I don't have a
flash." It's so quiet and simple to use, why give oneself away by flailing a
flash? What's in front of you is there for the taking simply by shooting
wide open and a slower shutter speed. Or any combination of shutter speeds
and aperture for a successful exposure.

I trust your negs and "content" are all OK and you have fun images to print
or scan.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant