Subject: [Leica] re: flash IS available light (was re: forbidden territory)
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:20:26 -0700

"I am an available light person myself, but since the bag had a flash
attachment of sorts in it - thereby suggesting that the creator of the Leica
was not so opposed to using flash - I thought I would ask about flash
equipment for the Leica M3 "

someone pointed out on this list not too long ago that if you have a flash,
it's available light and what people mean when they say available light is
"existing light"; which is very different. that said, flash on an m3 is a
pain in the butt. you have two options (discounting antique flash units),
the first involves getting your flash sync's converted to modern X's, this
can be done for mumble-mumble dollars by one of those people who do that
sort of stuff, the other involves buying the oddly named "m3 nipple" which
is a converter that plugs into the back of the flash sync, they go for about
$10 or, if you're like me, you'll complain about the dang camera so much
that someone will mail you one to shut you up. that done you can plug a
flash sync cable into the back of your camera. so whatever vivitar unit you
buy, make sure it has the option of pc sync cable and you'll be fine. just
get something with a thyristor and you'll do better than any of the vintage
boys in terms of judging flash exposure.

Replies: Reply from "Barb Cutler" <barb@intsvc.com> (Re: [Leica] re: flash IS available light (was re: forbidden territory))