Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:13:09 -0400

Simon wrote:

Doug Herr wrote:

I haven't used any IS equipment but a good way to stabilize long lenses
without a tripod is a shoulder stock.  I've gotten consistently good results
at 1/125 sec with the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt:

<snip>
I was thinking of a different situation - using a 180 or 200 mm lens, in the middle of the action, 2 to 10 meters away from your subject. It might be harder to work with a shoulder stock in that situation.

Simon.
<<<

I spent last weekend using a 180 (Elmar-R) along with 90mm and shoulder-stocked 250mm (Telyt-R) at an equestrian event where my daughter was riding (her first event - 3rd place in her division!) and I can see that IS could be handy if the bulk of the shoulder stock were a problem.

I found that where the working distances were appropriate for the 180, the crowd of people and horses wasn't so thick that the shoulder stock got in the way.  I prefer using shorter lenses for people photos, 90mm being ideal.  When I photograph people with lenses much longer than the 180 I feel more like a sniper than a participant.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .