Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:10:48 -0700

>> If the Canon Image Stabilization technology really does deliver high quality
>> results at several stops below what you would normally expect the telephoto
>> available light situation is very different - giving two to three stops
>> advantage. With 200mm, f2.8 at 1/60 or 1/30 the main problem will be subject
>> movement.

I have the 28-135 (approx) version of the lens on my D30 and it's fabulous.
At it's longest focal length, which on the D30 is about equivalent to 200mm,
it's possible to take hand-held photos at dusk.

Now you have to remember that the image sensors in the D30 aren't going to
be as critical as film, but I've taken indoor photos with no flash,
hand-held, at 1/15th of a second and had no detectable lack of sharpness.

Now THAT is pretty cool.

With a tripod you should, of course, turn the IS elements off.

I think it's a great technology.

One of the major photo magazines has a "shoot off" between the Nikon and
Canon IS lenses.

Its funny though...I enjoy shooting with my M6 much more than the Canon. It
always seems like one feature or another of the Canon has to be thought
about and fussed with: which exposure mode am I using? Which focus mode?
Autofocus? It all just gets in the way. The M6 is just the basics and me
making choices in my head.

Adam