Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:18:06 -0400

Henning Wulff wrote:

>I don't know about 'Leica style', but since I can consistently shoot
>at 1/15 sec at 400mm with the 100-400IS lens, 1/15sec should be a
>piece of cake with the 70-200. The addition of IS does not affect
>optical quality in a lens. In my opinion image stabilization is one
>of the most significant advances in camera design, as it truly allows
>you to take pictures that were impossible before.

While the advantages of the IS technology are immediately apparent the shutter lag of this and of AF technology can't be neglected.  The warbler photos on my website are a good example: each would have been long gone before the AF found the bird and IS or VR stabilized.  Subject motion can't be ignored either; a stable camera at 1/15 sec does little good if the subject is doing much more than breathing.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .