Subject: [Leica] Re: flash IS available light (was re: forbidden territory)
From: "B.Entus" <brutus@mda.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:45:14 -0700

>someone pointed out on this list not too long ago that if you have a flash,
>it's available light and what people mean when they say available light is
>"existing light"; which is very different. that said, flash on an m3 is a
my favorite term is "ambient light", meaning any light not supplied by the
the photographer

>pain in the butt. you have two options (discounting antique flash units),
>the first involves getting your flash sync's converted to modern X's, this
>can be done for mumble-mumble dollars by one of those people who do that
>sort of stuff, the other involves buying the oddly named "m3 nipple" which
>is a converter that plugs into the back of the flash sync, they go for about
>$10 or, if you're like me, you'll complain about the dang camera so much

Another alternative is converting the flash sync cord. Some flash systems
even used to offer Leica plug converters or cords, but it is also possible to
replace the flash cable with one which has the Leica tip (they turn up as
new-old stock from time to time). I did this with one unit when it's original
built-in cord broke off. This conversion is simpler than changing the plug
built in to the camera and retains advantage of the more reliable (compared
to PC or Leica+PC adapter) plug. Viable if the flash is used only with a Leica.