Subject: Re: [Leica] Clear Plastic Tape on M6 Base
From: Robert Schneider <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:40:14 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:

> Jacques Bilinski responded:
>
> And Ted said! ;-)  A few unrepeatable words about plastic and Jacques
> wild
> sense of humour! :-)
>
> Offering this sage and wise advice. ;-) The little piece of plastic on
> the
> base plate is only there to impress the purchaser, serves no practical
> purpose for picture taking and should be immediately discarded upon
> the
> first film loading! Unless one is going to hammer nails with the
> bottom of
> their M6!

This is not entirely correct.  The plastic protector DOES serve a
practical, picture-taking purpose: it's a perfect non-stick surface on
which to affix strips of masking tape or Duraflex adhesive tape to stick
over the finder illuminator window when rangefinder flare rears its
frequent, ugly head.  Masking tape, in particular, sticks tight to a
naked baseplate.

I know this is still irrelevant to Ted, as his M6 rangefinders never
flare.  The only ones in existence, which always makes me wonder just
who Ted knows at Leica.

Rob Schneider