Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Vertical Alignment at Infinity
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:08:07 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I have the  three summicrons, varying vintages, and they -- as well as
ALL lenses, vary SLIGHTLY at infinity....I'm talking about the width of
a light pole at 1/2 mile....or so....
When I worked at a shop, we used the owner's 50 summicron to set the
infinity on all rangefinders....was it right?....NO....but it was HIS!!!

slight vertical mis-alignment will affect little if anything (although it
maked ME nuts)....

My cameras are close to one another with all my lenses, and the lenses same....I've had
SOME japanese lenses that were farther off at infinity, but like Ted,
if they focus accurately, close up, then I couldn't care less!!!

I should point out that my wife's cameras are ALWAYS slightly out, vertically
and horizontally, and her lenses are beat to hell (glass included) an
usually dirty...as are her dented Nikons....however, since she is usually
photographing while I obsess on things, she has MANY more sharp pictures...
:) :) :)

/Walt in Denton/who should go take pictures, but will probably sit here
and adjust a rangefinder instead.....:).